×   Home   Blog   Newsletter   Privacy   Contact Us   About

Service Interuption

A few days ago I had some issues with my hosting provider, GoDaddy.
It appears that they elected to ‘upgrade’ my site to a new server without notifying me in advance. After the migration (which changed my IP addresses), they neglected to update the DNS records for my domain so that it could not be resolved or found. They also elected not to perform even the simplest of validation tests after the migration (Can you even access the site?) As a result of this, my website disappeared.
After a few desperate phone calls, I was able to get to site back up, but then found out later that the update destroyed all the hostname connection strings used by my php pages to access MySQL. As a result, most of the online tools/games I host stopped working, as did things like newsletters, signups and cancelations. When I looked at the source code I have locally, I found out that these strings in production were different to what I initially uploaded. Speaking to GoDaddy support it seems that I must have been migrated more than once, and the first time source code was GREPed and modified in production (without my knowledge) to make them continue to work, but the last time it was not.
Needless to say, I was not a happy camper!
I believe I’ve now fixed all the issues, and that my site it is running on all cylinders again. If, however, you come upon something that appears broken, or gives you a database error, please drop me a note, and I’ll look into fixing it as soon as I can. Thanks for your patience!